Wednesday, February 22, 2012

not your grandmother's spinach

Print Friendly and PDF

When I was a kid, my mom didn't make spinach much. But she did make crepes florentine a couple times, and I couldn't get enough. Who could? So when I visited another school while staying at my grandma's ranch, and I had my first-ever experience going through a cafeteria line, I answered yes to the lady who asked if I liked spinach. That was the day I learned to never say yes when asked about spinach. At that school, kids who answered no still got a full scoop of whatever veggie was being offered. Kids who said yes got TWO. Two scoops of steamed, canned spinach. G-ROSS.

So I know full well what I'm proposing here - that you eat cooked spinach. By choice. With what would otherwise be a perfectly good meal. I know. But TRUST me. It's nothing like that stuff I had to eat 25 years ago. Plus, stay tuned for another recipe turning ordinary spinach into a delish side dish... oh the suspense!


10 cups baby spinach (about 1 bag)
2 T butter (see? there's butter in it - how bad could it be?)
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1 T balsamic vinegar

1. Melt the butter in a skillet; add garlic.
2. Add one handful of spinach. Stir into butter & garlic until it wilts.
3. Continue adding spinach by the handful until all 10 cups are wilted.
4. Quickly stir in the pine nuts balsamic vinegar. Remove from heat and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment