Friday, May 11, 2012

baked french toast - mother's day brunch finale

Print Friendly and PDF

The piece de resistance for any brunch, but especially for a brunch that maman doesn't have to make herself.

When I was a kid, about 12 years old, we visited my mom's high school best friend (the same friend whose mom made this taco casserole). She baked the tastiest breakfast dish I'd ever had. I asked my mom if we could have the recipe and make it at home, and she flatly said something to the effect of, "I can't stand my eggs any way other than scrambled really well, and because this french toast has eggs in it, they might not get done all the way and might not be completely dry, and there might be a teeny, tiny drop of not-quite-done egg, and that would scare me and gross me out. So, no, you may not make this at home." Ok, she was nicer than that. But not by much.

However, somehow that recipe ended up in my mom's recipe box and I rediscovered the bliss of nutrient-bare french bread laden with eggs & milk, and gooey with caramelized sugar, butter & corn starch. And my holiday mornings became much better because of it.

*This must be MADE IN ADVANCE - prepare it the night before




1 whole loaf french bread, in 1-1.5 slices
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
2 T corn syrup
5 eggs
1.5 c milk
1 t vanilla

1. Mix and melt together the brown sugar, butter & syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; pour into greased 9x13.
2. Arrange bread slices on top of caramel in pan.
3. In a blender, combine eggs, milk & vanilla; pour over bread slices.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Bake directly from fridge at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until eggs are set & top is golden brown.
6. To serve, flip pieces of french toast up-side-down so caramel is on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment