Monday, October 15, 2012

polenta layered with beef

Print Friendly and PDF
This creation was the result of a friend's text: "tired of thinking of dinner, have lots of food, but no ideas - what should i do with these?!" I sent back 3 menus for her, proof of the fact that we work better in teams. Plus, I love the challenge of an almost-blank canvas.

A friend asked me recently, "So, you love to cook; what do you love to cook the most?" I was stumped at first, because I'm a person who can MUCH more easily come up with a Top 20 than a single favorite. Then I remembered the text challenge & the menus that resulted, and I realized... I love having seemingly random ingredients thrown at me and finding ways for them to come together for a good dinner.

Which brings me to this: first, a once-in-a-while column where readers send in their this-is-what's-left-in-my-fridge ingredient lists, and I publish a recipe that would incorporate them. Hopefully, we'll all learn more about how things go together, which spices add certain nuances to a dish, and how we can become more confident in the kitchen.

Also, a CONTEST: I'm too small-time to offer actual prizes, but once per quarter I'll publish a reader's ingredient list and let you all have at it. My favorite recipe will be published here, and if you have a website, I'll happily link everyone to that website so they can get to know you a bit better. Rotating themes (quick & kid-friendly, exotic, romantic, etc.) will spice things up a bit, too. CONTEST starts next week, so get yourselves ready!

Now, for a surprisingly simple dish that tastes anything but simple:


For the polenta:
3/4 cup dry polenta
1 t garlic powder
1 t salt (optional)
1 T butter

For the beef:
1/3 onion (1/2 small one - brown) minced
1.25 pound ground beef
2 T fresh basil leaves, sliced
1.5 t fennel seed (or 1.5 t anise)

The cheese layer:
6 oz Irish Cheddar, grated (1.25-1.5 cups grated) *can substitute extra sharp white cheddar or romano

1. Start by boiling 3 cups of water over high heat. Once boiling, add dry polenta, reduce heat, and simmer until thick and soft (about 30 minutes).
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Meanwhile, cook minced onion in a large skillet over medium heat until tender but not browned.
4. Add ground beef, basil, & fennel or anise; brown together with onion.
5. Once polenta is fully cooked, stir in garlic powder, salt, and butter.
6. Layer in a 2 qt. casserole dish: 1/3 of the polenta, 1/3 of the beef mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese. Continue  layering, using up all ingredients and finishing with cheese on top.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese melts completely.
*can be done ahead: complete steps 1-6, cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 days, or wrap tightly in saran wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Bake thawed casserole for 40-45 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. Fun things are a-foot! Can't wait to see the list for the contest. (And as your first official test kitchen I'll say this recipe is fallish and yummy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds good and, yes, fall-ish, but I need help on another fall treat. Got a recipe for a semi-healthy pumpkin muffin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either you need to stop taking pictures of good food, or I need to stop looking at this blog when I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, aren't you nice?!?! and by the way, pumpkin recipe that i sent you already is getting perfected (i hope) today and will be posted soon :)

      Delete