Friday, February 22, 2013

italian sausage soup

Print Friendly and PDF
I love Italian wedding soup, but I was too lazy to look up a recipe for it, and I didn't have any orzo/pasta, and I knew that if I was going to serve soup for dinner, it had better be chock full of meat, or Mr. Improv would go on strike. Hence, pantry items, plus some fresh ground turkey & sausage, all put together in hearty & delicious soup.

I made this gluten-free by using GF oats and GF chicken broth. I also used chicken Italian sausage, which was a tasty option for any non-pork eaters. Oooh! And I discovered a way to cook meatballs that I loved. LOVED, I tell you.

2 quarts chicken broth
1.5 cups brown rice, uncooked
4-5 carrots, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 handful of baby spinach, chopped
1-2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli, chopped
1 package (usually 1.25 pounds) ground turkey
1 pound Italian sausage
2/3 cup oats
2 eggs
1 T dried minced onion
1 t salt
1 t pepper

1. Bring chicken broth, rice, and veggies to a boil in a large stock pot.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, use hands to combine all remaining ingredients.
3. To form meatballs, use a melon baller or mini ice cream scoop. Drop meatballs, one scoop at a time, into boiling broth. As the pot fills (it will seem too full to add any more), allow the meatballs to cook for a minute on the outside before putting any new meatballs in.
4. Once all meatballs have been added to broth, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is completely cooked.
5. Serve with flatbread or salad for a complete meal.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMMM I love making soups. So yummy and easy. Thanks for the great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic- I'll wait for another cold day and try it out on my little band of "no soup!" ers. Thanks

    ReplyDelete